mandag 29. desember 2014

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The Smiths' most romantic song is undoubtedly "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" with its immortal line "And if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die". That's as good as it gets, and "All My Loving", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Your Song" or any other established romantic love song will have to excuse me - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" is a cut above them all. However, I have a troubled relationship with this holiest of love songs. Shortly after its 1986 release (on the fabulous The Queen Is Dead album) a friend, or rather a "friend", asked me to share a ride with him on his new motorbike, and driving like crazy on the highway, clinging to the bike as good as I possibly could, this was the song I had in my mind. Needless to say, my "friend" was not the one I wanted to die alongside, but Morrissey's finest moment still moves me. Thank God!

Watch and listen


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar