onsdag 1. oktober 2014

Neil Diamond - If You Go Away

Belgian singer/songwriter Jacques Brel's 1959 composition "Ne me quitte pas" (which translates into "Don't Leave Me") is among my favourite ballads. I love Brel's original, and Rod McKuen's English translation (which is not completely literal) has been recorded in many lovely versions. Some of the best are by Scott Walker and Frank Sinatra, but none touches me as deeply as Neil Diamond's 1971 version off his album Stones. Diamond sings it like he means it and simply does a stunning performance. The over the top sentimental strings further clinches it, especially when he sings about what will happen if his lover/girlfriend does not leave him: "But if you stay, I'll make you a day, like no day has been or will be again, we'll sail on the sun, we'll ride on the rain, we'll talk to the trees, and worship the wind." Beautiful!

Listen


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar